In recent months, Southern Bancorp customers have received a fraudulent text message claiming to be from Southern Bancorp alerting customers that their debit card is blocked. A link is provided in the fraudulent message urging customers to un-block their card. Following the link leads customers to a page that requests personally-identifiable information about the customer. Providing this information and submitting it opens up customers to identity theft, debit card fraud and more. Southern Bancorp will never request such information via text or email. If you receive this text, delete it immediately and contact us at at 1-800-789-3428. Additional tips are provided below.
How can I tell if it’s a scam?
Southern Bancorp never sends texts or emails to our customers requesting personal information. If you do receive one, it is a scam. Please alert Southern Bancorp of this by calling our Customer Service line at 1-800-789-3428. Here are a few clues to help identify scam messages:
- The message asks for your Social Security Number, password, user ID, credit card number, expiration date, debit card number, debit card PIN or anything else that should not be public knowledge.
- The site directs you to a website that is not https://www.banksouthern.com
- Note that scammers may change an email to look similar to a Southern Bancorp email (firstname.lastname@example.org) such as email@example.com. This type of email is not a registered Southern Bancorp email.
- The message contains misspelled words or poor grammar.
What if I have already acted on it or submitted my information?
Customers who have provided information to a possible scam should immediately do these three things:
- Contact the 3 credit bureaus (information below) and put a fraud alert on your credit report because of possible identity theft.
- Call the toll-free number on the back of your debit card or call your local branch and close your debit card immediately.
- Sign in to Southern Bancorp Bank web banking, click Customer Service, Update Profile, and change your web banking ID and password.
Credit Bureau telephone numbers and websites:
- Equifax: 800-525-6285 www.equifax.com
- Experian: 888-397-3742 www.experian.com
- TransUnion: 800-680-7289 www.transunion.com
Example of a text message scam:
We are very sorry, but your debit card has been suspended due to an error of our internal processors. Please confirm your information in order to unlock your card. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Please note: Once you have submitted your information, the limitation on your card will be removed immediately.
Remember, when in doubt, call Southern Bancorp Customer Support.